Thursday, February 7, 2013

A blustery gustery date night.

Oh, the joys of living in Minnesota! The (literally) subzero wind chills, the blowing snow, the constant cake of salt on your car. Why did we move here again?

There was a week of -30 degree wind chills a couple of weeks ago, and I took to wearing tights under my jeans for a couple of days.

Then I realized that the tights deprived me of any sensation in my lower body. Importantly, I couldn't tell when my pants were falling down, exposing a couple inches of really attractive black tights above my waist. Until at the end of the day, when *finally* my male co-worker said to me, "Dude. What's going on with your pants."

Lovely.

In any case, there have been quite a few days where I've just been COLD all day. Cold at work, cold walking home, cold hiding under three blankets on the couch watching reruns of Top Chef. So when we were trying to decide where to go for Date Night this week I had one request: that it be a WARM place.

We were trolling our neighborhood and it occurred to us that we hadn't been to this restaurant before!

I saw it on the Food Network once, though. *Foodies love Minneapolis* A show called "24 in 24", where the host, some dude named Jeff, goes to a city and tries to eat four meals in a day for less than $24. 

He went to The Anchor Fish and Chips for dinner, which is in Nordeast Minneapolis, and ate fish fry.

We thought we'd do the same!

I was a little skeptical of the temperature control of the venue...I sat down and spied what I can only conclude is a fake electric fireplace. The size of a shoebox. In the corner.


Hunger overwhelmed me at that point so we sat down and perused the menu.
They had a variety of Irish-sounding menu items (pasties? bangers?) but the NAME of the restaurant has "fish and chips" in it. Obviously that's what we ordered.


We sat at the bar, so while we waited Hubs and I drooled over the frying station. Leftover crispy bits of fried batter and chips hanging out. Nomnomnomnom.


Oh Em Gee, holy deep fried goodness, Batman.


I washed mine down with a couple of pints of hard cider. 


It was delicious! I looked over after getting halfway through my fish, and this is what I saw in front of Hubbles.


 He looks guilty, like he's just eaten a lot of fish and chips in a very short period of time.


Happy Fish Fry! It's coming up on that time of year, where small town restaurants everywhere start frying lots of fish before Easter. We got our quota in early. Although maybe not really, because we are definitely coming back to the Anchor again. Soon.

1 comment:

  1. The hubs missed a couple of crumbs~ Tsk Tsk .. LoL

    ReplyDelete